How to Increase Website Visitor RetentionVOBlogger
With today’s rapid increase in Internet usage, many businesses have already been taking advantage of using the web to market products and services mainly through a website. According to the Netcraft January 2018 Web Server Survey there are over 1.8 billion websites. Can you imagine how big the Internet is and the competition in the online market.
There is a vast sea of competition in the online market that customers can choose from so you need to work on your website to stay afloat. Websites must be created not only to attract new clientele but also to impact website visitor retention.
Simply having a website is not enough, it has to be well-designed and SEO ready to attract more customers and increase web traffic… and eventually will increase website visitor retention. How to that?
First, let’s see what causes visitors to drop?
- Outdated design – Design matters. So, if your site still looks outdated, it’s time for a professional facelift.
- Page loading – Does your page load quickly? Web visitorstoday have little patience and will drop when they get tired of waiting.
- Poor navigation structure – Not only is poor navigation structure bad for your on-site user experience, it’s bad for your SEO as well.
- Boring content – Web visitors like informative and relevant content. If yours is uninteresting, it will make them feel boring and leave.
So, what to do to avoid these and be able to increase user retention?
- Invest in a professional website design
Yes, there are a lot of website in the Internet but most of them get almost no visitors. Why? Because most website were not professionally built and it doesn’t make visitors stay longer on those sites. Having a professional web design is a big investment at first but is more beneficial and potentially more cost-effective in the long run.
Here are some statistics uncovered:
- 94% of people stated web design as the major reason for trusting or rejecting a website. (source Ironpaper.com)
- Further, 48% people stated that a website’s design is the number one factor when it comes to deciding the credibility of a business. (Source Ironpaper.com)
Based on the above facts, having a professional and well-designed website with a clean navigation structure and relevant content can certainly increase brand loyalty, gain trust of your site visitors and increase the chances web visitor retention.
- Speed Up Your Load Times
We know web visitors aren’t going to stick around if they can’t load a website quickly. Everyone loves a fast site. Studies have proven that speeding up your site will increase user retention, activity, and most importantly, your revenue. A significant percentage of people will leave a website that takes more than a few seconds to load.
Google’s latest research shows that the chance of a bounce increases 32% when the page load time goes from 1s to 3s. 1s to 5s increases the chance to 90% and if your site takes up to 10s to load, the chance of a bounce increases to 123%. That’s incredible. For search engines, better results and performance is a sign of a healthy site that pleases customers and therefore should be rewarded with a higher ranking.
- Provide a Good Navigation Structure
An organised and clear navigation structure acts as a roadmap to direct visitors to several pages and information on your site. A good navigation structure provides better user experience which will keep visitors stay longer on your site and increase web visitor retention.
If you have an unstructured and confusing navigation, your visitors are unable to use it and navigate around it to find all of the important information they are searching for and all they have to do is leave and navigate directly to a competitor’s website and you might as well consider them a lost lead.
The navigation of a website typically includes a navigation bar or list of labels that differentiate the pages of the website. It should be consistent and familiar. The navigation must be place on the top and left of the page. These include tabs like “About Us”, “Contact Us”, “Site Map” and other information. Decorate your navigational tools/bars in different colours, texts and icons to keep them obvious but ensure that your website remains simple.
- Provide valuable content marketing
A valuable content builds interest and trust with customers. Valuable content is relevant and informative that can educate your visitors as well as search engines about your website which help you rank well.
True value is manifested for both the company and its clients through the content marketing process:
- Informative, helpful content that educates helps the buyer decide on their purchase.
- Informed clients make better decisions.
- Better decisions make happy, loyal clients.
- Happy, loyal clients are inspired to tell others and visit you again.
Quality content then helps you establish a good communication with your customers and builds trust with your target customers. Consumers search and visit a website and expect to find all the products, services or information they need. Through content, you provide this information that they’re looking for which keep them stick on your site